Before Jillian Michael's, Tony Horton, Kasiafit, Denise Austin, and Jane Fonda there was Jack LaLanne the pioneer and "Godfather of Fitness", He is responsible for many of the fitness staples in the industry today some of which are the; protein bar, protein shake, leg extension, leg curl, cable pulleys, and so much more. Learn all about the making of this fitness icon and the wife beneath his wings, Elaine LaLanne. She is 91 and rocking her age and still lectures all over the country.
I love, eat, and breathe fitness, so I was beyond honored to interview The First Lady of Physical Fitness, Elaine LaLanne . She is the wife of fitness legend Jack LaLanne.
I'm not going to lie. I got pretty teary-eyed when I was preparing for this podcast about Jack and Elaine LaLanne. Together they have created the most amazing legacy that we all still benefit from today. You know what they say; behind every great man is an incredible woman.
Elaine LaLanne is nothing less than incredible! At 91 she puts us all to shame. Elaine does full push ups, takes no medication, and is as sharp as a tack. In this episode we talk about how Elaine, the then smoker and donut lover, met Jack, The Godfather of Fitness and he changed her life forever. Jack also had a life-changing event happen to him; perhaps that was why he was so interested in making an impact in other people’s lives. Jack was ill as a teen and his entire life was changed from a lecture by Paul Braggs of Braggs Aminos. This was a lecture in which Jack was almost turned away because it was sold out. Paul made room for Jack and his mother right up front. Talk about divine intervention.
As Jack got older he wanted people to realize that age was just a number. He set out to prove it by completing surreal physical feats, one of which was his infamous swim from Alcatraz to the mainland with his hands and feet shackled behind his back towing a 1000 pound boat at 60 years young. Jack really stood in the gap as a pioneer. He was responsible for so much of what we see today in fitness, from creating the selectorized weight machines, cable/pulley machines, and leg extension, to having the idea for The Smith Machine. Jack and Elaine encouraged and introduced women to the weight room, back then they were of the thinking that women belonged in the kitchen and not in the weight room. The backwards thinking was that women would look like men if they weight trained. Also the thinking in that day was men in sports shouldn’t weight train, because they wouldn’t be able to move as fast and if they were muscle bound and that it would slow them down. Jack LaLanne,The Godfather of Fitness, was amazing from the sheer feats of physical fitness he performed, to the machines he created that still we use today. Jack was also responsible for creating the first protein shake and protein bar. Jack was such a pioneer and an icon in the industry and his wife was right alongside him being on the air helping him do all that he did. She is a fabulous lady and I am so inspired by her. I met her at the World IDEA Blog Fest and it was an instant connection. She was such a gracious lady. I took a leap and asked her if she would do a Facebook live video with me and she did. It didn't take the first time so I had to get up the courage to go up and ask her again and she was such so gracious. We did it one more time and now I’m interviewing her for a second time on my podcast. ”Life favors the bold.”
What we talked about in this episode:
1. Move it or lose it
2. Fruits and Vegetables cleanse the system.
3. Every cell in your body is continually changing. Your body is new every seven years.
4. Why its important to have a good gut.
5. The effect of good microbiome and a great probiotic.
6. If you nibble all day long you never realize how much your eating.
7. What your doing right now is walking and talking tomorrow.
8. A sense of humor is important to longevity.
9. Jack wanted to prove that if you take care of yourself it doesn't matter your age
10.People are old because they're told their old.
11. ARC is Elaine's secret and mission in life. A-Attitude R-Resistance C Consistency.
12. Sign up for Maria's Schriver's Sunday Paper free.
13. A funny story of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jack working out.
14. Jack always said "If you do everything in moderation you can't go wrong."
15. "It's not what you do some of the time that counts its what you do all of the time that counts." Jack LaLanne
16. When someone has a birthday Elaine has a piece of cake but she says Jack was always very disciplined and never deviated.
17. At 91 Elaine is living strong lecturing and writing a new book.
18. The story of how Elaine met Jack and fell in love.
19. Face exercises to keep you looking young.
20. Why Jack wore ballet slippers and where he got the idea to wear a jumpsuit.
21. Jack would say "all I want to do is help people help themselves."
22. What people don't know that don't know.
23. Humor is the best medicine.