Coined as the "Indian Jane Fonda," Sarina Jain is the creator of the original Masala Bhangra® DVD series. An AFAA® certified fitness instructor for over 24 years, she teaches classes ranging from step aerobics, total body conditioning, and many more. She successfully moves, touches and inspires many people around the world with her knowledge and passion for Bhangra and Bollywood. Recognized as a global game changer, Sarina has over 15 workout videos under her belt with Masala Bhangra® classes offered in over 20 countries around the world.
Although India’s glitzy Bollywood films have featured Bhangra and other folk-dances and music for quite some time, it took a vivacious, young Indian-American fitness instructor to devise the concept of choreographing Bhangra along with modern, funky dance moves to appeal to the American exercise industry. In the process, Jain has impacted the entire fitness industry, and has been heralded in the press throughout the U.S. and around the world.
Jain introduced her Bhangra/Bollywood-style fitness routine to the U.S. with her first workout tape in 1999, and has since directed and produced a total of twelve high-intensity, easy to follow workouts in her Masala Bhangra® DVD series. Born in California, she started leading fitness classes at a very young age, and has been a certified fitness instructor for 23 years. She completed studies in marketing and public relations in Los Angeles, before founding her company, Masala Dance & Fitness, Inc. in 1999. She soon relocated to New York where she successfully cultivated a larger audience for her cross-cultural fitness ideas. In 2010, Jain was the new face for Nestle Fitness throughout Latin America, where 2.6 million cereal boxes include her “Masala Bhangra® Bollywood Style” DVD.
Jain proudly embraces her Indian heritage, and is an active member of the Indian-American community. “I lost my father to a massive cardiac arrest at the age of 47, my Mom was 40 years old. After this tragic accident, I just had to do something about this and inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and be the first to bring Indian dance to the fitness industry at a global level. People fall in love with the beat of Bhangra,” Jain says, “the music combined with its sensuous, vigorous movements recreates the excitement that an occasion is being celebrated. People have so much fun; they don’t realize they are getting an awesome cardiovascular and muscle-strengthening workout. Bringing Masala Bhangra® to people all over the world is so gratifying—I am absolutely living my dream.”
After losing her father to a massive cardiac arrest at the age of 47, she was inspired to bring Indian dance to the fitness industry at a global level. The loss of her father is what started this entire journey!
What we talked about during this episode:
- Bollywood Dance Beat is addictive.
- You've got to get up and move and make fitness a habit.
- Sarina created Masala Bhangra out of the tragedy of losing her father.
- The crazier your idea seems the more you should do it.
- Do things that make you feeling happy in your body.
- How Sarina turned her tragedy into triumph
- Sarina was the first to bring Indian dance to the fitness community on a global level.
- How she got her message out there despite her critics.
- You can't hold on to hate, anger, and bitterness when your happy and at peace.
- Yoga is what you bring to it.
- Masala Bhanga is the Yin to Yoga's Yang.
- When you put yourself out there your going to face some scrutiny.
- Some form of opposition generally comes when your moving ahead.
- Don't keep the best things to yourself, they are better when shared.
- You've got to really want something to go get it, in other words have a strong why.
- If you want the results you've got to work for it.
- Go after what you want.
- Stop wishing, start working.
- Why Sarina Jain is called the Indian Jane Fonda.
- Masala Bangra is more then dance, it's a movement that builds confidence and empowers women.
- Why investing in yourself is so important.
- Give and take make for great relationships.
- Working out while pregnant.
- Be True to you.
- create your vision.
Founder of Masala Dance & Fitness Inc.